1986-w $5 Proof Gold 8.36 Grams Statue Of Liberty Pcgs Mercanti Pr69 1/4qz # Het
- - STOCK # MNH. 8.36 GRANS 90% GOLD 8.36 GRAMS - 1986 W 1/4 OZ GOLD - PROOF - PCGS PR69 LOW POP & LOW MINTAGE - HAND SIGNED BY MR JOHN M. DESIGNED BY ELIZABETH JONES - BEAUTIFUL EYE CATCHING GOLD COIN - - - WHEN THE AMERICAN GOLD EAGLE SERIES KICKED OFF IN 1986 IT USHERED A NEW ERA OF BULLION COINS - IN SPRING OF 1985 PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN SIGNED THE HIGH PURITY GOLD INTO LAW. METAL: 90% Gold, 10% Copper. The first of these historic coins was the Statue of Liberty 100th Anniversary Coin issued in 1986. 900 solid gold, this remarkable coin was designed by Elizabeth Jones and features a detailed image of Lady Liberty. Elizabeth Jones was the last presidentially appointed and congressionally approved US Mint Chief Engraver. The first and only woman to hold that prestigious position, she served from 1981 to 1990, during which time some of the most important US modern coins were designed and released. An accomplished sculptor and engraver, Elizabeth Jones studied at Vassar College, the Art Students League of New York and the Scuola dell'Arte della Medaglia of the Italian Mint. She received international acclaim early in her career for her portrait medallions, and in 1972 Jones was awarded the Numismatic Art Award for Excellence in Medallic Sculpture by the American Numismatic Association - Elizabeth Jones was the last presidentially appointed and congressionally approved US Mint Chief Engraver. The first and only woman to hold that prestigious position, she served from 1981 to 1990. As specified in Public Law 99-61, the Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation, Inc. Was to use the funds collected from coin sale surcharges to restore and renovate the Statue of Liberty and the facilities used for immigration at Ellis Island and to establish an endowment that would ensure the continued upkeep and maintenance of these monuments. Commemorative coin programs are created by acts of Congress to honor a person, place, or event. Surcharges from the sales of these coins help fund a variety of organizations and projects that benefit the public. Commemorative coins are only available from the United States Mint for a limited time, as specified by public law.
- - The obverse design of the coin features a close-up view of Liberty. The reverse features a design of an eagle in flight.
This item is in the category "Coins & Paper Money\Bullion\Gold\Coins". The seller is "smdcollectibles" and is located in this country: US.
This item can be shipped to United States.
- Composition: Gold
- Certification Number: For the coin Pictured
- Strike Type: Proof
- Fineness: 0.900
- Grade: PR 69
- Precious Metal Content per Unit: 1/4 oz
- Brand/Mint: U.
- Certification: PCGS
- Modified Item: No
- Coin: Statue of Liberty
- Year: 1986
- Country/Region of Manufacture: United States